Detroit Red Wings-Inspired HockeyHockey_RedWings_Grey_11x14 $44
Our Detroit Red Wings-Inspired hockey art print reflects the history of one of the NHL's legendary Original Six clubs and equally legendary hockey towns. The Red Wings joined five other NHL teams in 1926 when the Victoria Cougars of the old Western Hockey League were sold to a group from Detroit. Known originally as the Detroit Cougars, they played their first home games in Windsor, Ontario. At the start of the 1927 season they moved into their new home in Detroit—The Olympia.
In 1930, the Cougars were renamed the Falcons and in 1932 they were purchased by new owner James E. Norris and renamed the Red Wings. Norris had been a member of the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association, whose logo included two wings attached to a wheel. They were known as the Winged Wheelers and were the first winners of the Stanley Cup in 1893. Norris decided that a version of their logo was perfect for his team playing in the Motor City. His logo survives to this day as one of the league's most recognizable marks and is worn with pride by fans all over HockeyTown and beyond.
The inspiration behind our Detroit Red Wings-inspired art print
Our Detroit Red Wings-Inspired vintage hockey art print was created for passionate Wings fans like you that love the game, your team, and its roots. It celebrates aspects of Detroit's team history, blending modern-day design with heritage-inspired elements such antique hockey sticks, a map of Detroit, an image of the Olympia and a stylized take on the winged-wheel logo itself.
This unique art print is ideal for framing and makes a great addition to any Wings, or NHL sports art enthusiast's collection.
- Heritage design inspired by the Detroit Red Wings NHL hockey team
- Authentic antique map background of Detroit
- Designed with the team's official colours
- Individually printed to order on heavy, satin photo paper using a large format, 9-colour ink process
- Museum-quality (Giclée) inks and paper guaranteed not to fade or yellow for 200 years
- Canadian-made, gallery-style hardwood frames with matte lacquer finish
- Prints are protected behind thick acrylic—clear as glass and won't break during shipping
- Acid-free, foam core backing board
- Hanging hardware installed—ready to hang out of the box!