Detroit Red Wings-Inspired Original SixHockey_RedwingsOrgSix_Red_11x14 $44
Our Detroit Red Wings-Inspired hockey art print tells the story of the era when they became one of the NHL's Original Six teams. The Red Wings joined five other NHL teams in 1926 when the Victoria Cougars of the old Western Hockey League were sold to a group from Detroit. Known originally as the Detroit Cougars, they played their first home games in Windsor, Ontario. At the start of the 1927 season, they moved into their new home in Detroit—The Olympia.
In 1930, the Cougars were renamed the Falcons and in 1932 they were purchased by new owner James E. Norris and renamed the Red Wings. Norris had been a member of the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association, whose logo included two wings attached to a wheel. They were known as the Winged Wheelers and were the first winners of the Stanley Cup in 1893. Norris decided that a version of their logo was perfect for his team playing in the Motor City. His logo survives to this day as one of the league's most recognizable marks and is worn with pride by fans all over Hockeytown and beyond.
The inspiration behind our Detroit Original Six art print
The design of the Detroit Red Wings Original Six hockey art print series was inspired by the work of the great depression era graphic designer Lester Beall. His work became popular across North America at the same time as the rise of the newly formed NHL. Each Original Six poster draws on the team's history, blending historical elements with iconic players and themes, like Mr Hockey, Gordie Howe, one of the all-time Detroit greats.
This unique art print is ideal for framing and makes a great addition to any Detroit, or NHL sports art enthusiast's collection.
- A striking design inspired by famous designer Lester Beall
- Photo-illustration of an original Detroit great, Gordie Howe, and a vintage 1959 Cadillac convertible
- Designed with the team's heritage colours
- Individually printed to order on heavy, satin photo paper using a large format, 9-colour ink process
- Museum-quality (Giclée) inks and paper guaranteed not to fade or yellow for 200 years
- Canadian-made, gallery-style hardwood frames with matte lacquer finish
- Prints are protected behind thick acrylic—clear as glass and won't break during shipping
- Acid-free, foam core backing board
- Hanging hardware installed—ready to hang out of the box!