1955 Chris-Craft CobraCottage_1955ChrisCraft_Gold_14x11 $44
At the end of WWI, Chris Smith began building speedboats under the name Christopher Columbus Smith Boat and Engine Co. using surplus aircraft engines. By the early 1920s, he realized his racing success was creating a name for himself and decided he needed a catchier brand name to race under. Smith's son coined the name Chris-Craft before the 1922 Gold Cup regatta in Detroit, and the name stuck. The company soon after became equally well known for building high-quality pleasure crafts for a public eager to get out on the water in their own boat.
The inspiration behind our '1955 Chris-Craft Cobra' Art Print
As a kid growing up on the Kawartha and Muskoka lakes systems, I was an avid boat watcher. I loved touring local marinas, poking around the back corners of lots looking for old beauties. I came across some pretty cool boats back then, but my research leading up to the creation of this print revealed a few models I'd never been fortunate enough to find, like this 1955 Chris-Craft Cobra. Only 108 Cobras were ever built—and for one year only in 1955—and they're probably boating's first-and-only true vintage hot rod.
I love the craftsmanship and style of these old boats. This print is one in a series of vintage boats in my cottage collection featuring some very distinctive models from the 1920s through to the 1960s. Any of these prints will make a great addition to your cottage, home decor or the ultimate man cave décor.
- Photo illustration of a 1955 Chris-Craft Cobra
- Available on 2 background colours
- Individually printed to order on heavy, satin photo paper using a large format, 9-colour ink process
- Museum-quality (Giclée) inks and paper guaranteed not to fade or yellow for 200 years
- Made in Canada gallery-style hardwood frames
- Choose from four designer finishes: Matte black, Driftwood, Natural wood, and Matte white
- Prints are protected behind 2mm thick acrylic offering the same clarity and quality as glass yet won't break during shipping
- Acid-free, foam core backing board
- Hardware installed—ready to hang out of the box!