Douglas DC-3: USAAF VersionAviation_DC3USAAF_Red_11x14 $39
The Douglas DC-3 was first introduced in the late 1930s and transformed aviation as we know it over the next decade. It became a workhorse transport aircraft during WWII and beyond. One of the most durable aircraft ever designed, hundreds still make regular flights today all over the world, but during the Second World War, it really earned its reputation as a reliable, long-distance carrier through countless flights to distant continents.
The inspiration behind our Douglas DC-3 USAAF Art Print
I am a longtime aircraft buff, WWII warplanes in particular. The DC-3 is one of my favourite aircraft, partly for its durability, but also for its simple, classic and enduring design. The design of this print was inspired by a combination of the great Depression-era graphic designer Lester Beal and the markings commonly flown on USAAF transports across Europe.
- Photo illustration of a DC-3 with RCAF markings
- Simple, minimalist design inspired by Depression-era artist Lester Beal
- Individually printed to order on heavy, satin photo paper using a large format, 9-colour ink process
- Museum-quality (Giclée) inks and paper guaranteed not to fade or yellow for 200 years
- Canadian-made, gallery-style hardwood frames with matte lacquer finish
- Prints are protected behind thick acrylic—clear as glass and won't break during shipping
- Acid-free, foam core backing board
- Hanging hardware installed—ready to hang out of the box!