Almonte 1891: James Naismith BasketballBasketball_Almonte1891_Grey_12.5x12.5 $44
Our 'Almonte 1891 Naismith Basketball' art print takes you back to the time when basketball was invented. Dr. James Naismith was a physical education teacher at the Springfield, Massachusetts YMCA. New England's winters were long so he invented a game that would keep his athletes busy and in shape. He hung peach baskets at each end of the gym and told the players to bounce and pass the ball down the gym and to throw it into the other team's basket. Although the game was a little 'rough' around the edges, the Almonte, Ontario native had invented a sport whose basic principles survive today.
The inspiration behind our Almonte 1891: James Naismith Basketball Print
Our 'Almonte 1891 Naismith' art print is unique and ideal for basketball fans or history fans alike. It's as vintage as it gets featuring a photo illustration of an antique basketball dating back to the 1890s placed on an 1891 map of Ontario. Naismith's hometown—Almonte, Ontario—is highlighted in his honour.
- Replica illustration of a 19th-century basketball
- An authentic antique map dating to 1891 locating Almonte, Ontario
- Choose from two colour options
- Individually printed to order on heavy, satin photo paper using a large format, 9-colour ink process
- Museum-quality (Giclée) inks and paper guaranteed not to fade or yellow for 200 years
- Made in Canada gallery-style hardwood frames
- Choose from four designer finishes: Matte black, Driftwood, Natural wood, and Matte white
- Prints are protected behind 2mm thick acrylic offering the same clarity and quality as glass yet won't break during shipping
- Acid-free, foam core backing board
- Hardware installed—ready to hang out of the box!