1867 Hudson's Bay BeaverAnimals_HudsonBayBeaver_Multi_14x11 $44
Our '1867 Hudson's Bay Beaver' art print recognizes the importance of the beaver to Canadian heritage. Without our fury friend, Canada would not exist. Early French explorers, or 'voyageurs', discovered the animal and soon realized its fur would be prized in European markets. As they pushed into the hinterland of what was known as Rupert's Land (divided now as Nunavut, Northwest Territories, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec and Northern Ontario) from landings on Hudson's Bay, they began establishing a flourishing fur trade which would become the backbone of the new colony's economy. Their prized catch was the beaver whose pelts were used to make everything from hats to winter coats.
The Inspiration behind our '1867 Hudson's Bay Beaver' Art Print
The Hudson's Bay Company was a key player in the Canadian fur trade and the founding of Canada. The beaver figured so prominently in their success that in 1621 they added it to their coat of arms. Inspired by HBC's role in solidifying Canada as a nation, we created this art print with the intent of linking their past to confederation. A vintage woodcut illustration of a beaver is featured over voyageur-patterned paddles. The date 1867 is spelt out in Roman numerals on a voyageur canoe. The entire design is overlaid on the Hudson's Bay colours.
This print makes a great addition to any history buff's art collection. Add this artwork to your cottage, man cave or modern home decor.
- Vintage woodcut illustration of a beaver
- Voyageur canoe and paddles, 1867 in Roman numerals, set on Hudson's Bay colours
- Individually printed to order on heavy, satin photo paper using a large format, 9-colour ink process
- Museum-quality (Giclée) inks and paper guaranteed not to fade or yellow for 200 years
- Made in Canada gallery-style hardwood frames with matte finish
- Protected behind 2mm thick acrylic offering the same clarity and quality as glass yet won't break during shipping
- Acid-free, foam core backing board
- Hardware installed—ready to hang out of the box!